Have you ever noticed how children enjoy walking on the fence?
It's a part of childhood.
Walking on the fence has many benefits for children as they experience:
- challenge: Can I do it? Will I fall?
- a different perspective: The world looks different from up high. Every now and then, adults need to crouch down and see the world from the perspective of a child. Height offers a new perspective.
- fear: It's a part of life which we all face in some form or another. It's how we deal with fear that makes the difference.
- disappointment: when I fall off
- determination: when I climb back up
- encouragement: from others around me
- support: from friends and loved ones who offer a helping hand
- self-confidence: I can do this
- relief: I've made it to the other side
- success: I walked the fence on my own!
Sure, there's a risk to walking along the fence. After all, there's normally no soft-fall material underneath and no safety equipment. It's potentially dangerous!
However, life is about balancing the risk with the benefits. And there's always a low fence and a supporting hand to help out.
So the next time you're at the playground, enjoy the fence as well as the equipment! Have fun!
Return to the Articles List for other children's learning activities or children's book reviews.