Aim of Lyrebird Park Missing Letter Puzzles:
For children to say the words and listen for the missing sound.
Note: There are 3 Missing Letter Puzzles - each a different level of difficulty.
Puzzle No. 1 (easiest) contains single nouns, each missing the beginning sound/letter.
Puzzles No. 2 & No. 3 (harder) are sentence-based, each containing words with missing letters.
Instructions for Lyrebird Park Missing Letter Puzzles:
- Read the story "Lyrebird Park" together with your child.
- Print out one or more puzzles (3 sets available) :
(Note: Keep the solutions pages aside for later)
- Encourage your child to guess what the words may be (the pictures will help to remind child of the story).
- Identify which sounds are missing (e.g., "s" from "snake").
- Write in the missing letters.
- Check the solutions pages.
The Benefits of Lyrebird Park Missing Letter Puzzles
These puzzles will encourage children to:
- Exercise and refine small muscle control used when writing or drawing.
- Engage cognitive (intellectual) skills of problem solving as children complete the puzzles.
- Use memory recall skills as they remember words/sentences from the story.
- Listen for the sounds which are used to make up words.
Offer your child plenty of encouragement and praise as they work through the puzzles.
You may also like these activities:
Our range of books is continually growing. Children's books available in our Literacy Series, include:
Return to the Articles List for other children's learning activities or children's book reviews.