Next time you're at the beach, try your hand at some beach art.
What Is Beach Art?
The idea is very simple. Use what you can find to make non-permanent art or patterns.
The Advantages of Beach Art
The beauty of this activity is that it fosters:
- Lateral thinking: What can I use? How can I use it?
- Creativity: There's no right or wrong way to make beach art. It all comes down to experimentation and exploration
- Recycling: Items you find on the beach are used to make something of beauty
- Cooperation (if the beach art is part of a team effort)
- Language: Used to describe ideas, solve problems and to brainstorm.
There's one more benefit that I nearly missed. There's no major clean up with beach art (e.g., no messy paints or glues)!
So the next time you're at the beach, see what you can design and make.
Oh ... and don't forget to take a photograph as this art isn't transportable. It won't be coming home with you unless you count the bucket loads of sand that normally manages to hide out in clothing and is readily dumped on the bathroom floor! :o
You may also like these activities:
Return to the Articles List for other children's learning activities or children's book reviews.