AUNT LOU'S COCKATOO is an interactive illustrated children’s audio book by Susan Syddall. Engaging illustrations and text have been designed to motivate children to read for pleasure and information.
Aunt Lou's Cockatoo Story Outline
Firstly, she receives a mysterious parcel for her birthday
which turns out to be empty!
Secondly, her house is turning into one gigantic mess.
Will Aunt Lou blame her loyal cat for all the trouble?
Or will she solve the mystery of the empty package and
find out who or what is making the mess?
Aunt Lou's Cockatoo Preview
What's Unique About This App?
Our stories are designed to help children develop a love of reading. We do this by using:
- Rhyme: This helps children to read word families and develops reading confidence.
- Rhythm: Helps children recognise patterns in words and sentences and makes reading a pleasure.
- Repetition: Allows children multiple opportunities to recognise, revisit and master written words.
- Humour: Engages children in the text.
We aim for our books to:
- Foster a love of language
- Build and extend vocabulary
- Capture children's interest
- Inspire creativity
- Kindle imagination.
Each story contains GUIDE NOTES for parents/educators which suggest activities and experiences which will extend children's learning based on concepts introduced in the books. The GUIDE NOTES include ideas for:
- social/emotional/moral development
- physical development
- critical thinking and
- Original score and fun sound effects.
- Interactive learning activities which encourages comprehension and language development.
More About Aunt Lou's Cockatoo
AUNT LOU'S COCKATOO is part of a literacy series designed to help children learn to read.
Educational Activities Based on Aunt Lou's Cockatoo
Extension activities are available for AUNT LOU'S COCKATOO. These are fun extension activities further learning opportunities.
The following FREE extension activities can be downloaded for AUNT LOU'S COCKATOO:
- Aunt Lou's Cockatoo Board Game (A3 - one page)
- Aunt Lou's Cockatoo Board Game (A4 - two pages)
- 12 Free Drawing Prompts Based on Aunt Lou's Cockatoo (A4 - twelve pages)
Aunt Lou is Is Loved By
Children aged 3 - 10 years.
Parent Notice About This App
- Does not collect/share any user's personally identifiable information.
- Does not contain Social Network Integration or other Social Features.
- Does not contain ads.
- Does not contain In App Purchases for additional content.
“Top notch in beautiful illustrations, storyline, expressive narration, rhyming text, the many interactive activities and child friendly navigation.
Both my boys, 3 and 6, love these apps. They remain engaged and have great replay value.
As a parent, I especially love the “Guide Notes”, they are so helpful and insightful.
We now have 5 apps from the series and they have been a wonderful addition to our digital library.
I would HIGHLY recommend this app!”
Parent and App Reviewer
"Hi Susan, the books were super easy to download to my iPad!
They are fantastic stories. The illustrations make the stories come to life.
The best part for me, however, are the activities – and they are printable!!!!
Thank you so much! The children in my Year 2 class will love these stories!"
Michelle – Year 2 Class Teacher
A Truly Unruly Birthday!
Love stories that have an Australian theme. I love the illustrations in Susan Syddall's stories especially this one and "It's a BAD day to be a FLY". I can barely draw stick people.
Really appreciate the use of Foundation font in the activities Word Hunt, and Sounds, as this font is used in schools in many states throughout Australian (so I believe) including my own.
I like Activity10 - the maze. My 7yr old found the first level 'easy peasy' but it 'freakedâ' him out when I first showed him to hardest level. Haha, it was funny. So I'm saying it has something for all ages.
Also funny, as I'm typing this review from the next room I can hear Mr 7 singing "titter and tatter, that's what I can do", his version of the song that repeats occasionally throughout the story, haha so funny. (Giggling to myself now.) So do you think that means he likes the book? Yep! I reckon so.
Lyndel - parent
Books Available in Print Include:
- Lyrebird Park is available in printed format as big and small books.
- Hog and Frog is also available in printed format as big and small books.
- Doodle Tales: A Goods Knight's Bad Day! where children finish the illustrations and add their own ideas to complete the story.
Other Titles Available In Electronic Format
Our range of books is continually growing. Children's books available in our Literacy Series, include: